Student Work Permit
Hello Redwood Students and Parents,
If you are seeking a Work Permit during the Summer of 2023, please follow the instructions below:
- Please call 559-730-7510 to make an appointment for Work Permits.
- Work Permits are processed at the College and Career Readiness Office next to the Visalia Learning Center at 630 S. Atwood Street in Visalia.
- Appointments are available from 8 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday, starting June 5 through August 4.
- The Workforce Investment Board (WIB) is available for Work Permits as well. The WIB phone number is 559-713-5000.
Click here for more information about Work Permits. https://sites.google.com/vusd.us/vusd-ccr/career-technical-education/work-based-learning/student-work-permit-info
THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA WORK PERMIT FOR MINORS
THE STATE OF CALIFORNIA REQUIRES THAT ALL MINORS
(A PERSON UNDER THE AGE OF 18)
HAVE A WORK PERMIT ON FILE AT THE WORKSITE BEFORE THE EMPLOYMENT IS LEGAL
Exceptions: Possession of a High School Diploma or Equivalent
A minor not attending school is not eligible for a California Work Permit
PROCEDURES FOR OBTAINING A WORK PERMIT
(When School is in Session: Fall and Spring Semesters, and Winter and Spring Breaks)
1. The school of attendance issues the work permit. Please contact the school’s Student Services Department for assistance.
2. Eligibility—the student must have a GPA of 2.0 or higher, good attendance, good citizenship, and a job offer (you must have a job offer before you can obtain a Work Permit).
3. The school will issue a State of California Department of Education Work Permit Application form number B1-1. This form must be completed in blue or black ink and requires the signature of the student, the employer, and the parent/guardian.
4. Student must provide a social security number and proof of identification. The employer must note the working hours, a clear description of the work to be performed, and the address of the physical location you will be working.
5. The completed B1-1 is returned to the school of attendance and reviewed for accuracy and eligibility for both Visalia Unified and the prospective employer.
6. The student is to return to his/her school of attendance to pick up their State of California Department of Education Work Permit, form B1-4 (Permit to Employ and Work). The B1-4 is the document that students need to submit to his/her employer to begin employment.
For more information about child labor laws, contact the U.S. Department of Labor at http://www.dol.gov/ and the State of California Department of Industrial Relations, Division of Labor Standards Enforcement at http://www.dir.ca.gov/DLSE/dlse.html
PROCEDURES FOR OBTAINING A WORK PERMIT
(During Summer Break: After the last day of school to the first day of school)
All District Work Permits will be issued by appointment only; required documents will be processed at:
Visalia Unified School District
College & Career Readiness Office
4930 West Kaweah Ct., Suite 102, Visalia, CA 93277
Once a student has a job offer, the student downloads and prints a work permit application: B1-1, “Statement of Intent to Employ Minor and Request for Work Permit” from their high school website, the District’s Career Readiness website, or internet (or below). Blank copies are available at the front door of the College & Career Readiness office. Students must have a work permit for each place of employment. After obtaining a promise of employment:
Section A: Directions to Complete the B1-1 Work Permit Form BEFORE submitting for processing at office.
1. Student must completely fill out the B1-1 section, using black or blue ink. (Note: applications will not be processed without a Social Security number).
2. Student must request that the employer completely fill out the employer section. The “Description of Work” must be detailed and complete. Student must obtain employer original signature prior to District verification and the two signatures (student and employer) must be within seven (7) days of each other.
3. Student must obtain parent/guardian approval with signature.
4. Students must call the College and Career Department (559-730-7510) to make an appointment to process their fully completed B1-1 form. Appointments will be held on Monday through Thursday (offices are closed on Friday); student must be present at scheduled appointment for required signatures.
Section B: Directions for submitting the form at the VUSD CCR Office.
5. Once arriving at your scheduled appointment, District staff reviews student’s grades and attendance to determine student’s eligibility and notes grades and attendance on the B1-1.
6. District staff will generate official work permit (B1-4 form), print 3 copies, and sign. Student is given the work permits to sign.
7. After signing, two forms are given to the student -- one form is to be given to the employer and one is for the student’s records. One form is retained by the District.
Per California Labor Law, work permits are valid through two weeks after the start of the Fall Semester and students cannot work during school hours.