Freshman Student Fall 2023 Presentation
WHAT’S IMPORTANT TO KNOW
As you take this next step towards the rest of your life, there are many factors to consider. Receiving a High School diploma can be a fun and rewarding experience.
- Meet with your Counselor during the scheduled appointment time to discuss post high school plans and ensure that you are taking the appropriate classes for graduation and college.
- HOMEWORK is important! Do not procrastinate and get it done! Your grade depends on it. Homework is part of your GRADE! Completing homework helps with studying your materials!
- Begin planning and exploring what you want to do after high school.
- College? How can I qualify? Four-year? Two-year? Trade/Tech School? Military? Work? NCAA (Athletics in College)? GPA Requirement?
- Research post high school choices. Also, go to college fairs in the area.
- California Colleges-The official source for college and career planning in California- californiacolleges.edu
- The California State University- csumentor.edu
- Go to Plan for College, then fill out the High School Planner
- Explore Campuses
- University of California-http://universityofcalifornia.edu
- Private College and Universities-
- Independent CA colleges and universities – edu
- Independent colleges and universities – org
- Get involved in school and with extracurricular activities. Join a club or a leadership class like ASB or Link Crew. Go out for a sport or take a fine arts class.
- Volunteer in the community or for your church. Find a passion and do something with it.
- Become familiar with checking your grades online at powerschool.vusd.org/public . Maintain your grades and achieve a grade of “C” or better in A-G courses. A GPA of 2.0 or greater is required to play sports.
- Study hard for all of your benchmark tests. You must pass your benchmark in order to pass your class. Communicate with your teachers! Use your assigned school gmail account to email your teachers.
- Study and do your very best on all your assessments given in class. Practice makes Perfect.
- If you are having trouble in any of your classes, utilize the XL Expanded Learning Program before and After School. XL Tutoring is offered every day. Please talk to your teachers, your counselor and your parents. DON’T WAIT UNTIL THE END OF THE SEMESTER TO GET HELP! YOUR FUTURE DEPENDS ON IT!!